2020/04/10

Widening social disparity


Recently, I started to read the New York Times to increase vocabulary.


America Will Struggle After Coronavirus. These Charts Show Why.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/opinion/coronavirus-us-economy-inequality.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I don't think this title reflects the contents, but the statistics are impressive.
Obviously, widening inequality deteriorates health status, life expectancy, addictions of opioids, suicides, and alcoholism. Generation X and Millenniums cannot become wealthier than their parents. What is puzzling me is why American people accept the present situations and deny the implementation of health insurance by the government even after knowing the result. Do they believe they are not the poorest?

A few days ago, another article introduced an opinion of the FIRE movement. An interviewee who earned more than one million dollars and retired in his 30's mentioned, "This world values capital more than labor. I don't like it, but I've made a profit from it."


Is it a sign of the end of capitalism? I hope it isn't.